Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Green Kids

"Walking the talk" is the most exciting challenge about owning a Green Business. For my standards: I should not be seen walking out of the coffee shop with a disposable cup, I don't want to be caught using another plastic spoon. Really, I shouldn't be driving a car, and my house should be off the grid. But, can I do it all and be non impact girl at all times? It is hard! I did make a new years resolution to not use plastic bags any more, and I have succeeded at this, but it has been quite the effort...electing to not buy more food that I can juggle in my arm span.

Just like when I was living in Spain trying to learn their language, I found that the more you learn (about the language) the more you learn you have to learn. This is the same about living Green. When you are up on the subject, you can find that almost everything we buy, breath, eat, drink, drive, and or live in is somehow bad for the environment. I know too much about which plastics not to drink out of, heat up, or dish wash....I know what toxins are disguised in my children's pajamas, toys, snacks. And, I know I should be wearing a medical mask if I am ever to walk into a newly painted or carpeted building not built green.

Sometimes, being educated on what is Green, Eco, or Non-toxic can also make one feel stuck when trying to be a conscious consumer. I do give credit that we actually have a conscience about this, and the thought process (guilt) actually occurs before throwing my vegetable scraps down a garbage disposal, or letting my kids play with balloons that will eventually end up in the land fill until their children have children . It must be liberating to those who toss their McDonald's dinner remains out their car window on the highway, without even a thought about how poluting this is. I wonder, how many people out there still do not care or make decisions on how their actions are having a greater impact on the earth. 30%? 50%? 90% of the population?

Anyways, we were celebrating our daughters 3rd birthday party! Now, parties, of any kind, can end up creating mountains of waste. Knowing that there were going to be 30+ guests enjoying a Sunday afternoon picnic with us at our pond, I did want to host a memorable event. Do I feed other kids non organic crappy snacks, even though I try to feed my kids mostly healthy and organic? Do I serve beer to the adults, even though I don't drink alcohol? Do I get cheap party favors, since everyone else traditionally gives these out in a cute little bag at the end of parties? Last year I sent everyone home with a locally grown peach...

Trying to walk the talk and be the most Green is a challenge, but in the end, it is worth it. As, I feel that I have to be the example I hope to see in the world. No party favors this year. Swimming was the party!

No comments: